“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns” Philippians 1:6
Friday, July 9, 2010
4th of July Weekend 2010
We got to take our kayaks out to the lake for the first time since Caleb was born. It was great to get back in the water, literally. For those of you that know Rampart Reservoir, it's a little chilly. As in really cold, even during the summer months. After all, much of the water is snow melt! You don't want to go in. But sometimes you just can't help it. So there I am trying to get my boat on shore. I am about a foot away and decide to step out of my kayak and place one foot on shore. I admit, this was not well thought out. As I place one foot on shore, the other foot (still in my kayak) begins to push away from the shore. In slow motion I realized it is going to be cold. As I'm going into the splits (I have done this since I was 16 or so) and desperately trying to pull both legs together again I realize I'm fighting a losing battle. Pretty soon the splits are too much for me and I collapse into the water. I got a good laugh as did everyone watching. Luckily I was close to the shore so I was able to get out of the water quickly and back to dry, warm land. Caleb's experience was much drier thankfully. He enjoyed the almost 4 mile hike to the picnic table on Mom's back. He loved seeing all the trees, birds and flowers. I was so proud that I was able to carry him almost the entire way. However, after 4 blisters, almost 4 miles and quite a bit of limping thanks to the blisters I finally gave up and let Jeff carry him the rest of the way to the table. I was very disappointed that I didn't carry him the whole way, but proud that I made it as far as I did with such a hefty little man on my back. He didn't enjoy his life vest as much as the walk because he could barely move in it, but I think he enjoyed the kayak as much as possible considering his limited ability to move. All in all, I believe we have created a good foundation for future boating experiences as a family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amber you are so funny but honestly I could totally see myself doing the same thing.
ReplyDeleteCaleb is such a cutie in his life vest on Jeff's lap with that orange hat
LOVE seeing Caleb out in nature with you and Jeff. What a lucky guy!
ReplyDelete