Caleb loves to talk and sing. He is even putting together phrases and very short sentences. Bite banana please. Mama, dadda, car. Jejus memaw amem (Jesus grandma amen). Bay-buh (Caleb) rock baby. He loves to sit in his rocking chair, on a lap or solo, and look at books or sing songs. Lately he will toddle over to the rocking chair and climb up with a book while saying or singing "Rock baby" or "Rock a baby." This can often be heard at night or nap time- during the day is also probable. My translation: I want mommy or daddy to rock me and sing "Rock a bye baby." Now, for the record, no child of mine is falling from a cradle that is high in some extremely unstable tree when a gust of wind has a mind to blow. So, I have changed the words to the classic. For those parents out there who agree that the traditional "Rock a bye baby" song is downright nightmarish, here is my new, updated version. More child friendly, especially before we expect them to sleep soundly all night long:
Rock a bye baby
In the tree top
When the wind blows the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle is strong
And baby and cradle will rock all day long.
Now isn't that much better? I have a mind to change many nursery rhymes and fairy tales. Just this evening I was reading about some poor unsuspecting maid who gets her nose bitten off by a bird! And I'm supposed to read these to my 23-month old? Before bed? Who wrote these anyway? Enough of my soapbox. If you care to steal my version, please feel free. Meanwhile, Caleb will be sleeping peacefully with pleasant dreams down the hall. No thanks to Mother Goose.
No comments:
Post a Comment